Compact Disc Preservation Society

God save eco-paks, jewel cases, and variety

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Under the Covers, Vol. 1


Artists: Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs
Released: 2006

The annual onslaught of year-end “Best Of” lists is almost upon us, and while it wouldn’t make my Top Ten for ‘06, Under the Covers has probably been the most compulsively listenable album I’ve picked up this year. Part of this is due to my personal obsession with Susanna Hoffs, which has been running unabated since I saw the “Manic Monday” video in 3rd grade. The other, far more important rationale for its placement in my stereo is the impeccable song selection by the two artists, which focuses exclusively on late ‘60s rock and pop compositions. Sweet and Hoffs tackle their fair share of musical war horses (“Cinnamon Girl,” “Different Drum,” and a terrific version of “The Kids Are Alright”), but they tend to focus more upon lesser known tracks from the likes of Marmelade (“I See the Rain”), the Zombies (“Care of Cell #44), and the Left Banke (“She May Call You Up Tonight”). They also add a few new twists to some of the songs, turning the Velvet’s “Sunday Morning” into a steel guitar-addled country-rock comedown, and fleshing out Fairport Convention’s “Who Knows Where the Time Goes?” with a full band accompaniment.

To be honest, the market for a disc like this is pretty small. You have your Matthew Sweet fans, your Susanna Hoffs obsessives (see above), and the music dorks who already own the original versions of all of these songs (you can’t see me, but I’m raising my hand now too). It’s too bad, because I think one listen to “And Your Bird Can Sing,” whether it’s by the Beatles, the Jam, or Sweet & Hoffs, can immediately bring to mind all that’s glorious about music. And that’s not a bad thing.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:51 AM, Blogger roger said…

    Every guy our age is in love with Susanna Hoffs or is gay.

    I will have to check this album out. It sounds like 100% pure fun. ha ha ahaha ha ahha hahahaha.

     
  • At 2:17 PM, Blogger Joe said…

    I saw Susanna Hoffs a few years back when the Bangles played at the Bryant Park Morning Concert Series. She's still stunning.

    And Matthew Sweet rocks. To paraphrase Chuck Koestler, he puts out exactly one perfect song every CD, and that's always the first single off of the CD.

     
  • At 7:17 PM, Blogger Alan said…

    I will now be starting a "Getting Over Susanna Hoffs" support group in January.

     
  • At 9:53 PM, Blogger Kenneth M. Walsh said…

    Great post about a great album. I saw them over the summer at the Roxy in Los Angeles and the show was terrific! You can see some concert pics of sexy Susanna here.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home