Compact Disc Preservation Society

God save eco-paks, jewel cases, and variety

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Everything All the Time

Artist: Band of Horses
Released: 2006

An Open Letter to Band of Horses:

Let me start off by saying I like your album. Actually, I like your album a lot. You recall Built To Spill and My Morning Jacket without their occasional guitar wankery, and your lead singer reminds me of the guy from your Sub Pop brethren The Shins. Your songs are big and spacious, indulging in the dynamics of band interplay and production. Really, I have no complaints…except for Sunday night. During what was an otherwise fine set, you took a detour and covered Hall & Oates’ “You Make My Dreams.” Now, I don’t have a problem with Hall & Oates. I do, however, have a problem with trying to make the song “sexy” by slowing down the groove and sounding like a bad cover band at a frat party. You know what kind of band I’m talking about – they think they can do “Let’s Get It On” because the Tri Delts scream for it and Jack Black pulled it off in “High Fidelity.” Really, you were about two steps away from 311 territory with that song. Anyway, keep up the good work, and maybe rethink your third to last song every night. Just a suggestion.

Sincerely,
Art Vandelay

1 Comments:

  • At 10:26 AM, Blogger roger said…

    Damn right you have no problem with Hall & Oates. And their strength is rockin', cheesy fun, why would this horse band mess with that? (Although, from your description, I might like them.)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home