Compact Disc Preservation Society

God save eco-paks, jewel cases, and variety

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Funeral


Artist: The Arcade Fire
Released: 2004

I had initially written an entire review for this album, and posted it for all of five minutes before I had second thoughts about its content. Cliche-ridden, stilted, and without a proper ending, the piece was dreadful (then again, some may say the same regarding all of my posts). The album is fantastic, representing a cross between the overbearing and intimate, and focusing upon loss with an undercurrent of hope. Really, just go and buy it if you don't already own it.

Luckily, I had the opportunity to see the Arcade Fire before the Rolling Stone, Spin, and New York Times articles; before they toured with U2, and had their song "Wake Up" serve as Bono & Co.'s entrance music. The album had been released in October 2004 to no fanfare, save for a glowing review on Pitchfork's website. I picked up the album, loved it, and proceeded to check them out a month later at the Beachland Ballroom. Expecting a smallish crowd, I was taken aback when around 400 people showed up. I was even more amazed that the crowd already knew the words to every song. It was a rare moment of foreshadowing that I was privileged to be a part of.

That's it. Now go and buy the album. I'm waiting...you haven't logged off yet. Oh, you're buying it online? OK, that's cool.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home